MA Comprehensive Exam (On-campus students)
- Students must be enrolled or active in the university system at the time of taking the exam.
- All on-campus MA students must take the Applied Economic Theory comprehensive exam which covers microeconomics and macroeconomics after completing the micro and macro course work.
- Online MA students will complete the ECON 690 MA Economics Capstone course as fulfillment of this degree requirement.
- Students are allowed multiple attempts to pass the comprehensive exam. Although multiple attempts are allowed, students must complete this program requirement within their six-year graduation deadline. No time-to-degree extensions will be approved to accommodate additional attempts beyond the graduation deadline. If a student is not able to pass the comprehensive exam by their six-year deadline to graduate, the student will be terminated from the program.
- The comprehensive exam is graded on a pass/fail basis.
- Each comprehensive exam is closed-book, three hours in length and is offered twice yearly (August/January).
- The comprehensive exam will not be waived under any circumstances.
- Comprehensive or qualifying exams from other universities are not acceptable.
- Copies of past exams are available at myMason Blackboard / Organizations / Economics Graduate Students / Content / Graduate Exams.
Please send your request for exceptions to our exam policy to email@example.com
Last updated: 09/07/21